With more and more ventures starting every single day, there are a lot of job opportunities for the workforce.
In such a scenario, retaining employees becomes challenging. Statistics suggest that organizations with strong hiring processes can increase employee retention by 82%.
Not only that, a good employee onboarding program can help new employees learn the ropes quickly and get accustomed to the new ways of working.
This employee onboarding program begins from the moment an offer is sent to the employee until the employee becomes a productive working member of the organization.
Let’s look at how you can improve this process at your organization.
Why is onboarding important in the HRM process?
Employee onboarding is a crucial part of HRM in organizations. Here are some reasons why you should focus on it.
It can reduce turnover (and related costs)
Re-recruiting can be a costly endeavor. In fact, a study suggests that the total cost of replacing an employee ranges between 100-300% of the individual’s salary.
Add to that the time it will take to hire someone else, and you’re looking at a lot of time and costs. Proper onboarding can help you create a better experience and reduce turnover.
Helps maintain and enrich organizational culture
When people assess their job opportunities, they also give a lot of weightage to the organizational culture. After all, they don’t want to be stuck in a company where they don’t like the culture.
Onboarding is a great time to help employees acclimate to the culture and discuss your organizational culture's vision, values, and unique characteristics.
Boost productivity and employee engagement
In most cases, employees take time to reach their maximum potential.
In this scenario, providing a good onboarding program helps them get started with work and fosters relationships with their colleagues. With proper goal-setting, frequent management check-ins, and employee development being a part of onboarding programs, you can help employees get engaged and productive faster.
What is a good onboarding process?
Some best practices you can follow for a good onboarding process are:
- Automate and personalize the new employee onboarding process flow by making use of platforms like SAP SuccessFactors
- Share an end-to-end onboarding schedule with the new hires so they know what to expect
- Get the paperwork done as soon as possible so the first day of onboarding doesn’t revolve around filling out documents
- Involve their team members in the process so they can get acquainted with their colleagues and feel more connected to the company as a whole
- Share your definition of success and introduce your culture
- Introduce work gradually and assign a buddy who can regularly check in on the new hire
- Provide all the tools and learning materials they will require for their job
What are the benefits of the SAP SuccessFactors Onboarding solution?
SAP SuccessFactors provides all the means you require to provide a great onboarding experience to new hires.
Here are its important benefits:
- Provides comprehensive programs: You can manage various programs like Pre Day-One, Onboarding, cross-boarding and offboarding, and rehiring with a single solution. You can even access the new hires’ data from the platform itself.
- Access documents from anywhere: All new hires can access documents from anywhere and also sign them. This reduces the documentation required during the onboarding program.
- Helps implement personalization: Before day 1, new hires are invited to a personalized landing page to see initial information, company introduction, compliance forms, and assigned buddies or connections. They are even given a dashboard to initiate and complete tasks and access guides, videos, and other content.
- Makes administration easier: Hiring managers can activate notifications and get a dashboard view of their new hires. They even have the option to select any or all of the new employees and complete some processes in a single task.
- Capture operational and sentiment data: With the integration of SAP Qualtrics Employee Lifecycle, you can include employee surveys in automated workflows for new hires and capture important sentiment data that can help you optimize your onboarding programs.
- Helps new hires socially blend in: New hires can collaborate socially and start both formal and informal networking initiatives, including setting up clubs, meet-ups, or assigning them to their buddies. This makes them feel welcome in the organization.
- Improve new hire productivity: When new hires can get everything they need on one single platform, from resources to required tasks, they can start getting familiar with their roles and contribute early and effectively.