Understanding Data Models in SAP SuccessFactors
SAP SuccessFactors defines its data by using a number of data models. All of these data elements have an impact on the modules of the SuccessFactors Suite, so it’s important to understand what they are.
What is a Data Model?
A data model describes how data elements are structured within a database. They also define the properties of these elements and define their relationships with each other.
There are two types of company data that can be used in a data model:
Personal employee data such as name, date of birth, nationality, job title or employment data.
This type of data is more company/business-focused, such as legal entities, job and pay structures, departments and contracts.
How are Data Models defined in SAP SuccessFactors?
The SAP SuccessFactors Suite defines this data using the following Data Models:
Corporate Data Model
This model defines organisational data in XML, which are also the Foundation Objects. Foundation Objects can also be defined as MDF Objects.
Country / Region Specific Corporate Data Model
This data model localises the foundation objects within the Corporate Data Model to specific countries and regions.
Succession Data Model
This model is the basis for SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central and is the basis of holding employee data. The elements defined here are used or referenced in the following elements:
- Employee Profile
- Matrix Grid Reports
- Succession Organisation Chart
- Employee Directory
- Employee Scorecard
Country / Region Specific Succession Data Model
Any stored employee data are localised in this data model. Fields that are specific to a country or region are also configured here.
How To Configure The SAP SuccessFactors Data Model For Onboarding Processes
When configuring the SuccessFactors Data Model for the data required for the Onboarding process, you need to synchronise the Succession Data Model with the Metadata Framework.
The data from the Succussion Data Model will then dictate the fields available for configuration by selecting “Manage Business Configuration” under the Admin Center.
While configuring the data in SuccessFactors Onboarding, you can then start to understand the concepts used for different types of data models.
How to Synchronise the Succession Data Model with Metadata Framework (MDF)
The best way to synchronise these elements is by enabling Business Configuration UI (BCUI). Once this is enabled, you’ll have to create a job to sync BCUI with Succession Data Model. After this is enabled for the first time, future updates will automatically be pushed to the Succession Data Model, so you will only need to do this once.
How to set up a BCUI sync job?
- Create a Job: Select Synchronize Business Configuration under Job Type.
- Run the Job: Go to Managing Job Scheduler and then Manage Scheduled Jobs.
- Monitor the Job: Go to Managing Job Scheduler and then Monitor Jobs.
How to add Country / Region specific HRIS Element Field to the Data Model
SAP SuccessFactors also gives you the ability to configure country-specific information for entities, which are used in the Onboarding and Employee Central based on the Succession Data Model.
To configure this information you will need to do the following:
- Go to the Admin Center, and select Manage Business Configuration.
- To access the HRIS element field, you will need to add country-specific information. To do this, click on the “>” icon to expand the element options (Keep in mind that not all HRIS element fields have the country-specific options).
- Select Configure New Country and then choose the specific Country from the dropdown menu.
- Once you have entered the HRIS Element dropdown menu, select the HRIS element field and click save.
- Add the localised HRIS fields and trigger rules to the HRIS element by clicking on the country-specific HRIS element that you have just saved.
- Under this section, enter the following details to add localised fields to the element:Identifier, Label, Enabled, Mandatory
- In the Trigger Rules section, select the “+” icon to add configured business rules (these rules evaluate and determine which new hires see the country-specific fields).
- Check that the Enabled dropdown is displayed as “Yes”.
Need more support for the SAP SuccessFactors Suite?
As a Partner of SAP SuccessFactors, TalenTeam helps you unlock the power of this world-class technology. From full implementation to customer support, we are here to support your requirements.